I agree with Annette here. Plagiarism has slightly different meanings in
different disciplinary contexts (because we chiefly concerned with the
originality of different aspects of the writing in different
disciplines). In the context of a primary report of a new scientific
study, plagiarism has primarily to do with whether the data reported is
new or not (because, what we don't want is for the same data to be
presented twice without clear notification, in order to prevent the
false appearance of replication).  The author who is concerned about
running into problems with repeating parts of the setup should simply
footnote the section and note that it was first developed for
such-and-such an article, and it remains relevant to the new article
because it is a continuation of the same research program. Any journal
editor who actually rejected such a paper because the "setup"
(background, procedure) was similarly worded to those of a previous
paper by the same author on the same topic (though of a different
experiment) would get exactly what s/he deserves -- the paper published
by another journal.

It is easy to be too punctilious about these kinds of things by applying
the letter of descriptions (of plagiarism, in this case) that were only
ever meant to be general descriptions of prototypical instances (e.g.,
copy words from a previous paper nearly exactly without citation).

If one were in a different disciplinary context (e.g., literature) then
lifting large chunks of any part of a document (e.g., a story) and
plunking them down in a new document would constitute plagiarism.

IMHO.

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology

416-736-2100 ex. 66164
chri...@yorku.ca
http://www.yorku.ca/christo/

==========================

Annette Taylor wrote:

> I have to disagree with Miguel here... agree with Barbato. I have
> spent the last decade researching a single paradigm and plan to do so
> until I retire probably. It has taken me years to phrase some of the
> basics in the most clear way so that others can understand what I
> mean. I don't want to have to think of more alternative ways to say
> some things. I had to really craft the text of the basic ideas
> carefully because I'm trying to explain some relatively abstract
> concepts in the most effective way possible for the listener/reader.
> So to have to redo this in a potentially less effective way to avoid
> self-plagiarism seems down right silly. They are my words that I
> worked on, and if they form the foundation of parts of the
> introduction and methods section then I can't believe it's a problem
> to reuse them whenever I write about the same topic. In fact, I have
> tried to just free write the methods section in subsequent papers and
> found myself repeating myself verbatim without even trying.
>
> I an left asking myself if we haven't had the pendulum swing too far,
> once we have to worry about repeating parts of introductory
> explanations to set the stage for a new study, as being somehow
> "dishonest" or lacking "integrity."
>
> Just my 2 cents here. What do the others on the list think?
>
> Annette
>
> Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
> Professor, Psychological Sciences
> University of San Diego