At the very least, I think, we need a different term, as "self-plagiarism"
strikes me as an oxymoron.  Plagiarism by definition (at least all definitions
I've ever seen and can locate) means appropriating others' work without
attribution.

    The discussion does raise some interesting and important issues, especially
those pertaining to how best to inform journal editors and readers. To me, the
biggest problem with "self-plagiarism" (again, I really think we need a
different word) is that some editors may be accepting what they believe to be
an original piece of work than in fact has been largely published elsewhere.
In the 1980s, Irv Biederman published an article in Psychological Review that,
it later turned out, had already been published largely in a chapter (and
Psychological Review issued an apology to readers).  So to me, much of the
debate boils down to how best to inform editors and readers (and, I suppose,
promotion and tenure reviewers who are counting beans) about what parts of
one's work are, and are not, original.

     I'm in agreement with Annette, Jim, and others that forcing authors to
reword standard descriptions of their Method section just for the sake of it is
not especially worthwhile.  In contrast, I think we'd all agree that sending an
original article to Psychological Bulletin that contained a huge section (say,
consuming 50% or more of the article) that in fact had been published in a
different journal - and without informing the editor - is ethically
questionable at best. In between these two extremes, I suspect, there are
legitimate differences of opinion. Personally, I don't see a major problem with
mild forms of the practice just so long as editors and readers are fully
informed about how much of what they're reading is genuinely new. I've never
seen a good discussion of how best to inform readers of this practice (e.g.,
"see Smith & Jones, 1998, for the same verbatim description of this
technique"), although I would think that such a discussion would be worthwhile.

....Scott

Scott O. Lilienfeld, Ph.D.
Professor
Editor, Scientific Review of Mental Health Practice
Department of Psychology, Room 473 Psychology and Interdisciplinary Sciences
(PAIS)
Emory University
36 Eagle Row
Atlanta, Georgia 30322
slil...@emory.edu
(404) 727-1125

Psychology Today Blog:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-skeptical-psychologist

50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology:
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-140513111X.html

Scientific American Mind: Facts and Fictions in Mental Health Column:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/sciammind/

The Master in the Art of Living makes little distinction between his work and
his play,
his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his
recreation,
his love and his intellectual passions.  He hardly knows which is which.
He simply pursues his vision of excellence in whatever he does,
leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing.
To him - he is always doing both.

- Zen Buddhist text
  (slightly modified)