I had a similar question with Michael's post but was too busy to think about it
at the time .. unless one claims that St Thomas' separation of faith and reason
gave permission for scientists to charge ahead since reason/science can't
disprove (or prove) the faith part. But in general, Christian religions have
not been exactly at the forefront of science. Though the Catholic church is
ultimately accepting of scientific advances - sooner or later - example being
the acceptance of Darwinian theory as established science and more than "just a
theory", and (if I remember) that "creationist science" is junk science because
of the lack of falsifiability (I was impressed with that one!). The Orthodox
christian tradition as I understand it, also doesn't try too hard to make faith
& tradition & science fit, as they treat the faith & tradition as more of a
mystery, not readily explainable through science. Marc I agree, I just want to
know things better too ... Maybe someone can make a case that by funding
universities, trade and commerce, they assisted science inadvertently? (trade
and commerce fostered science, as it required maps, technology, navigation
tools, people who can read and keep track of $$, basically a secular education)

John W. Kulig
Professor of Psychology
Plymouth State University
Plymouth NH 03264