Allen Esterson wrote:
> An addition to Stephen's list of quotes:
>
> Wolfgang Köhler, gestalt psychologist and ethologist:
>
> "I now turn to psychoanalysis, the source of more, and of darker, smog
> than any other doctrine has produced." (Quoted in Percival Bailey,
> *Sigmund the Unserene: A Tragedy in Three Acts*, 1965)

I'm sure Koehler (trained as a physicist under Max Planck) had his
legitimate doubts about psychoanalysis. One should keep in mind, also,
the ongoing intellectual rivalry between Berlin and Vienna at work here.
My wife once suggested to a friend of hers from Berlin, who was
experiencing some personal difficulties, that she might seek out a
therapist of counselor. The instant and definitive reply was "We are
Prussian, not Austrian!" There is a religious aspect to the this rivalry
as well (Prussian is Protestant, Austria Catholic). Interestingly, the
one obvious conflict that was probably NOT at work in Koehler's remark
was anti-semitism. The other major Gestalt theorists (Wertheimer,
Koffka) were, of course. Jewish (though Koehler was not).

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology