Ah! Our good friend Allen is indeed a non-psychologist scholar! Correct me if
I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Allen is a mathematician by training and trade.

How little we know about each other. I'm trying to meet tipsters when I travel
and had coffee with Allen in London a few summers ago. BTW I may be teaching at
Oxford for a term in spring 2012.

I'm also hoping to get to New York and meet some tips friends in New york next
summer.

And although Michael may not remember, I was among the AP readers who watched
his DJ gig in Daytona.

Annette

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

Joan Warmbold wrote:
I've noted this phenomena also Allen and my hypothesis has been that it
was the esoteric, complex and inaccessible nature of Freud's theories
that appealed to intellectuals.  Ironically, I suspect that
intellectuals are more easily seduced by the style of his
presentation--i.e., degree of eloquence and complexity that prevented
them from perceiving the underlying use of "rhetorical strategies."
I've also noted that, in general, east coast intellectual publications,
as per the New Yorker, still appear to be enthralled with Freud's.   Has
there ever been a non-psychologist scholar who has challenged Freud's
theories?

Joan
jwarm...@oakton.edu

---