Joan Warmbold asks:
>Has there ever been a non-psychologist scholar who
>has challenged Freud's theories?

As is implied in Joan's question, there have been many eminent
psychologists who have challenged psychoanalysis from its inception,
e.g, Pierre Janet made perspicacious observations on Freud's
methodology in public debates, and in the 1930s William McDougall
published devastating critiques of major parts of Freudian theory.
(Psychoanalysts largely ignored specific criticisms and blithely went
on repeating their contentions as if they had never been rebutted.
Freud's attitude was spelled out in his "History of the Psychoanalytic
Movement" [1914}: "I knew very well how to account for the behaviour of
my opponents... I made up my mind not to answer my opponents, and so
far as my influence went, to restrain others from polemics.")

To rescue the reputation of philosophers in regard to Freud ( :-) ):
Sidney Hook, Ernest Nagel, Michael Scriven, Adolf Grünbaum, among
others, presented penetrating critiques of different aspects of
psychoanalysis at a conference organised by the New York University
Institute of Philosophy for eminent philosophers and psychoanalysts,
plus a few psychologists and psychiatrists. The contributions were
published in *Psychoanalysis, Scientific Method, and Philosophy*, ed.
S. Hook (1959). Another philosopher, Frank Cioffi, started publishing
similarly penetrating critiques of Freud's writings in the 1970s
(reprinted in *Freud and the Question of Pseudoscience*, 1998).

The philosopher and social anthropologist Ernest Gellner published an
analysis of psychoanalytic ideas in *The Psychoanalytic Movement: Or
The Coming of Unreason* (1985), a book both devastating in its logic
and wickedly amusing in its presentation. (Sample of chapter titles:
"Transference (Greater Love Has No Man)", "Psycho-hydraulics", "A
Cunning Bastard", "The Trickster", "Freud and the Art of Daemon
Maintenance" and "La Therapie Imaginaire" – highly recommended!)

Finally: Ludwig Wittgenstein, while ambiguous in his attitude towards
Freud, made the illuminating comment: "I, too, was greatly impressed
when I first read Freud. He's extraordinary – of course he is full of
fishy thinking and his charm and the charm of his subject is so great
that you may easily be fooled…" (But following more such comments, he
added: "All this, of course, doesn't detract from Freud's extraordinary
scientific achievement" – a view that few of the philosophers at the
above-cited NYU seminar would have endorsed.)

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com