Ironically black kids learned more and came out very scholarly in the
days of segregation.

So did white kids. Don't confuse causation and correlation.

Chris Green
========

I am not sure what Chris means. This is the fallacy of assumed equity. White kids always had privileges at all times. However during the days of segregation when black kids went to schools that were allegedly substandard,their motivation to succeed were influenced by teachers,parents,and significant others who knew that education was necessary to combat the forces of discrimination and to raise their status in life.There was a saying at that time
that a black had to be twuce as good as the white  to get the job .
I remembered when I was at Mizzou,a black prof from one of those Ivy league schools was invited to give a colloquium.His topic was on S S Stevens (the psychophysics dude).Members of Mizzou's Psy dept questioned heavily his expertise and tested him from all angles,as if a black could not demonstrate excellence on S S Stevens. I by no means imply that segregation was a positive climate for blacks.And maybe the fact that blacks saw the value
of education then was a form of a necessary  "strategic acculturation".
However integration (leveling the playing field) created some drawbacks for black education.Kids were not as "fired-up" as their counterparts in the days of segregation. I can agree with Chris that white kids were also impacted.What I fail to comprehend is hpw can a correlation be used to explain the two subject variables Black and White when obviously one factor is linear for W and the same factor
shows a significant impact on blacks.

Michael "omnicentric" Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=5749