From: Helweg-Larsen, Marie [helw...@dickinson.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 4:07 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: RE: [tips] Why isn't this plagiarism?

With respect to students and ghost writing it is pretty simple: we require the
work to be the student's work. So if it is not the student's own work (whether
the additional help was paid for, coerced, received in exchange for sexual
services or something else) it would violate the academic expectations (unless
of course such collaboration was permitted).

I don't know anything about the Sherwin case (well clearly no one does since it
is secret) but lots of people are authors on papers they did not actually
write. Perhaps they edited the paper, collected the data, analyzed the data,
did the literature, etc. In fact, in the biological sciences it is common for
the lab director to be an author on every paper produced by his/her lab even if
he/she did nothing specifically to create the paper or research.

I don't know much about ghost writing popular books. Doesn't it usually say
"famous person's name" WITH "ghost writer" on the cover? But even without a
ghost writer lots and lots of people edit the words in a book before it is
published. They are usually thanked in the acknowledgements but presumable have
not "earned" co-authorship status. So clearly it is a judgment call when
someone has contributed so much to the writing that they should be acknowledged
on the cover as opposed to thanked in the acknowledgments.

Marie

Marie Helweg-Larsen, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology
Danish Institute for Study Abroad (DIS), +45 2065 1360
Dickinson College (on leave 2010/2011)
http://users.dickinson.edu/~helwegm/index.html