On 11/3/2010 5:44 PM, William Scott wrote:

How about this one. Jay Leno, in his autobiography, Leading With
My Chin, wrote (and I think no one doubts that he wrote it) at
least one story about his life that didn't happen to him but
rather happened to someone else (comedian Jeff Altman). He paid
Altman for the right to claim Altman's life story as his own.

see:
http://www.wwtdd.com/enlargedimage/?back_to=/?attachment_id=482981&postid=482981
<http://www.wwtdd.com/enlargedimage/?back_to=/?attachment_id=482981&postid=482981>

Is this plagiarism? Leno wrote the story but who's the author?

Bill Scott

This reminds me of the 8th-season Seinfeld episode "The Van Buren Boys" - a street gang named after the 8th President of the USA.

Kramer sells his life story to J. Peterman, a seller of "Adventure life-style clothing" like Eddie Bauer, Burberry, and such. Kramer then discovers that he has lost the legal right to tell these stories to his buddies and fights to regain that right.

Does anyone know if the Seinfeld story was based on the Leno-Altman incident?

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu
Professor
Department of Psychology          http://www.psych.appstate.edu