Marie said:
"In fact, in the biological sciences it is common for the lab director
to be an author on every paper produced by his/her lab even if he/she
did nothing specifically to create the paper or research."

And this is also the case in bio-psychology (or is that
psycho-biology...ahem, I digress).

Indeed, some are still of the old school (probably because they are
old(er)) where the lab owner is the first author in every paper,
regardless of their actual effort in said paper.

I think either is fine, in that they are after all the creator and
intellectual force behind the establishment and continuance of the
lab.
With biopsych (and other areas I imagine), often the technical help
(lab assistants etc.) do not get mentioned unless the PI is
open-minded and they had some form of direct contribution to the
paper.

With regard to politicians--besides that anything goes if you can get
away with it--I imagine it's ok since it is their thoughts and they
are just getting "technical" help in putting those thoughts onto paper
(and help in avoiding stepping on the wrong toes).

--Mike

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=6185
or send a blank email to
leave-6185-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu