On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 08:04:07 -0800, Michael Britt wrote:
>I recently interviewed Adele Faber, co-author of several parenting books.
>As I edited the audio file for my podcast it occurred to me that it will be
>clear to the listener that I agree with her ideas regarding parenting (which
>are clearly more "Rogerian" than "Skinnerian").  But aren't I supposed to
>be, as a psychology instructor "objective"?

To tell you the truth, I have no idea what you're talking about.  What
exactly do mean by the term "objective"?  Consistent with the facts?
Neutral with respect to "framing"?  Before people start trying to reply
to Britt's request, wouldn't it be a good idea to understand what he is
saying?

>I've been turning this over in my head for the past few days and I don't
>know if others find this issue of concern, but today I came across an
>article in Time magazine by James Poniewozik.  He's talking about the
>supposed objectivity of journalists, but I think what he has to say is
>relevant to us:
>
>"...what journalists and people who talk about them generally call
>"objectivity" is not actual objectivity, but something more like "neutrality"
>(often a false and labored one). Objectivity does not mean having no opinion,
>taking no side or expressing no point of view. [Objectivity] means seeking,
>acknowledging and interpreting objective evidence, even when it conflicts with
>your preconceptions or with what you wish to be true. You can have subjective
>beliefs—because we all do—and yet subordinate them to objective evidence."
>
>Your thoughts on whether we should try to be "neutral"?

First, demonstrate that what journalists do, that is, produce news stories,
have acceptable reliability and validity.  To what extent do independent
observers of an event agree on what happened and to what extent do
the observations made correspond to the actual event (one can start with
sports and whether referees make correct calls or not and why instant
replay is critical in some situations). At best, what journalists do is
naturalistic
observation -- I assume that one doesn't have to review their research
methods texts to remember the problems associated with the sort of research?

Second, journalists do not conduct empirical tests or experiments about
their beliefs or what they report -- they probably could but few have the
skills to do so (moreover, they often are concerned with specific events
that occurred under specific conditions; they are not interested in making
a generalization from a sample to a population, rather they are usually just
concerned with the sample).  The issues of "objectivity" in context, is seems
to me, to be limited to (a) is their story factually correct and (b) framing
(which means that the presentation is positive, negative, or neutral in tone).

Third, for scientists the issue is not "objectivity", however that is defined,
but (a) can one make reliable and valid observations, (b) conduct appropriate
analysis of the observations to determine whether variables are associated
or not, and (c) coming up with a theory that explains why such variables
are related.  Since theory building goes beyond the data at hand and
may depend on certain social, cultural, historical, and other factors (which
post-modernism are/were fond of dwelling on) one can ask whether a
theory is truly "objective" in the sense that it is consistent with the facts.
For example, reliable and valid observation may be made, relationships
detected, and then explained, say, by the action of demons or supernatural
forces.  An appropriate demon theory might be developed that is consistent
with observations and sociocultural beliefs but would not make sense in
other sociocultural conditions (and though pandemonium pattern recognition
programs may make use of "demons", it would be proper to ask one what
one means by the word "demon" and a metaphorical sense is preferable
to a literal one; see for example:
http://books.google.com/books?id=E17lR8OcnqgC&pg=PA147&lpg=PA147&dq=pandemonium+perceptrons+demons&source=bl&ots=3bKzC16MVb&sig=6UVaFHzfcaZZjpDRR1WrQyz9sSg&hl=en&ei=g1rtTKKjDYaLswbP8rSdDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=pandemonium%20perceptrons%20demons&f=false
or
http://tinyurl.com/pandemoniumdemons )

Are your talking about framing effects or factualness or the culture laden basis
of theories or something else?

To summarize, what you talking about, Willis?
(For illumination on this last point, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff%27rent_Strokes )

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=6726
or send a blank email to
leave-6726-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu