On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 12:49:11 -0800, Christopher D. Green wrote:
>Indeed, we should be objective, but we should also read Daston &
>Galison's book about the history of the term, and how its meaning has
>shifted over the decades from the mid-19th century until now (so that we
>don't get too self-righteous about the matter).
> http://www.amazon.com/Objectivity-Lorraine-Daston/dp/1890951781
>
>(And then, we could read my article about how some of E. B. Titchener's
>work is more explicable if seen through the lens of Daston & Galison's
>history of objectivity, forthcoming in the December issue of the history
>of science journal, /Isis/) :-)

Shameless self-promoter! :-)  In the meantime, for those who've given
up their subscriptions to the American Scientist, here's a review of
the Daston & Galison book that provides, I think, a reasonable (dare
I say "objective") view as well as some of its limitations; see:
http://www.americanscientist.org/bookshelf/pub/how-to-be-objective

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=6729
or send a blank email to
leave-6729-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu