> Stephen Black drew attention to:
>
>> A remarkable graphical display of economic progress at
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSRLYSojo

Rosling fails to point out one of the most significant aspects of the
data: almost all of the increases life expectancy come between incomes
of $400 and $4000. Only relatively small increases occur between $4000
and $40,000 (which is, as Jim earlier noted, TEN TIMES as much of an
increase in income). This is in line with the conclusions of the book I
was "pushing" a few weeks ago: _The Spirit Level: Why Equality is Better
for Everyone_. More important than just life expectancy, the same thing
is roughly true for any measure of the quality of life. We appear to
have reached something of a ceiling in the ability of money to improve
the quality of our lives. Sure, it's great to have your own monster
house or yacht or airplane, but the increase in happiness it produces,
on a dollar for dollar basis, is minuscule compared to what the first
few thousand dollars of income does for one's life. What does seem to
produce big increases in quality of life measures, even for those at the
top of the income scale, is living in more equal societies. I know --
these are nearly unsayable words in today's America (but then again,
evolution by natural selection is almost unsayable as well).

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology