Again, Allen overwhelms with far more bulk than (I feel) it is appropriate to
respond to in a forum such as this.

I will say, in response to Kay's critique, that one should look at the whole
book. It is written for a popular audience, and so does not include
correlations coefficients in the main text, but they are included in appendix.

As for it seeming a bit utopian, yes it is, in the sense that there is
essentially zero chance the the populations of the US and UK, especially, will
ever accept these recommendations. Inequality  has (sadly) become an entrenched
part of their national ideologies - the "pain" that signals to them they are
getting maximum "gain" from their economies. That people refuse to do what is
good for them doesn't mean, however, that it wouldn't sill be good for them.

For myself, I find the evidence provided in the book quite compelling. As with
all correlational research, it is possible that there is something else,
correlated with equality, going on. The authors are aware of this issue and
address it extensively. The burden of proof is on the critic to provide an
equally compelling case for some other variable.

Chris
---
Christopher D Green
Department of Psychology