On 6 Jan 2011 at 8:46, Mike Palij (yada, yada) wrote:

>> I wonder if anyone has conducted a case study on Bem to understand why
> he believes in PSI?

The simple answer would be because that's where he believes his
results take him. A good scientist has to accept what his data tells
him, regardless of the consequences and his own beliefs, even if
contrary. Of course, extraordinary claims require extraordinary
evidence, and the claim here is extraordinarily extraordinary.
Still, he did play by the rules, which got his paper past peer
review.

As for Mike's title, I don't think physics colleagues have much to
snicker about, not when you remind them of the Bogdanov twins
( http://tinyurl.com/29gnz6l ) and the polywater debacle.

(Wikipedia also has a nice long piece on the Bogdanovs).

Stephen
Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University