aright) that the results of a Milgram-like study may be vitiated by the
subjects realizing they were enrolled in a similar experiment to the
well-publicised Milgram study, Joan Warmberg wrote:

>Interesting suppositions Stephen--any data to back them up?

I think the (valid) point Chris was making is that at this stage in our
knowledge of the study, such a possibility should not be ruled out, and
that we should not *necessarily* take the results at face value.

I also don’t think the word “suppositions” is appropriate. As I read
Chris he is arguing that the results may not be as straightforward as
seems, and that his suggestion is a reasonable possibility, if not
probability. He is not *presupposing* that it was the case. He is
simply doing something that is (unfortunately) frequently not done in
such circumstances, pointing out that we should consider another
plausible explanation before jumping to conclusions.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com