On 9 Apr 2011 at 3:31, Allen Esterson wrote:

> aright) that the results of a Milgram-like study may be vitiated by
> the subjects realizing they were enrolled in a similar experiment to
> the well-publicised Milgram study, Joan Warmberg wrote:

Um, no, all I can blame Chris for is spotting the news item in the
first place. Blame me for the speculation.

As for Joan asking about data, my response is that I don't have to.
My job, as self-appointed critic of all things psychological, is
merely to raise a plausible alternative explanation of results. If
the alternative seems as likely as the one advanced by the
experimenters, I win.

It's the job of the experimenters in discussing the results to
consider all plausible alternatives and rule them out, or argue that
they're less likely for various reasons. If they ignore reasonable
alternatives or advance only weak arguments against them, too bad for
their hypothesis. (I belive this was Allen's response as well).

However, I did think (briefly) of how to distinguish my
interpretation from that of the experimenters,  which I assume is
that a little money goes a long way in making people do despicable
things. It wouldn't be easy. I'd suggest that they carry out a much
more than perfunctory post-experiment interview with each of the
subjects, and try to bully them into admitting that they were pretty
sure all along that it was a big fake. Ask them point-blank, for
example.

We may not want to believe such testimony, because it too would be
tainted by the interview process. But it would generate more doubt
about the money makes people do bad things hypothesis (which I do
believe in general, but not in this case).

And actually,  if the subjects thought it was all a big fake, well,
they were right.

Stephen

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus