Mike Palij drew attention to the analysis of Hitler by Henry Murray
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_of_the_Personality_of_Adolph_Hitler

I recall from perusing the analysis some years ago that it was Freudian
based. This is confirmed from this part of the report:

American psychiatry was in the middle of its period of infatuation with
Freud at this time (1943), as can be seen from pp. 8-10. Freud's
"Counteractive Pattern" is explained by the hypothesis that "as a boy
Hitler was severely shocked... by witnessing sexual intercourse between
his parents".
http://library.lawschool.cornell.edu/WhatWeHave/SpecialCollections/Donovan/Hitler/upload/Hitler-Section1.pdf

This notion, widely held beyond psychoanalytic circles in those days,
was thought to be based on solid evidence that Freud had acquired from
his clinical cases. In fact it comes entirely from the Wolf Man case
history, specifically Freud's ludicrous analytic interpretation of the
patient's dream of some wolves (actually dogs, as the Wolf Man later
revealed -- Freud made them wolves so he could bring in folklore in the
analysis) sitting in a tree. Using interpretations that have to be read
to appreciate their full absurdity (see my *Seductive Mirage*, pp.
68-69), Freud arrived at the conclusion that the dream was a disguised
unconscious memory of the infant Wolf Man witnessing his parents
engaging in sexual intercourse. Such was Freud's reputation that this
absurdity became received 'knowledge' well beyond the world of
psychoanalysis.

That said, there are plenty of sensible ideas scattered in Murray's
report.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London