I know many people who teach introductory psychology courses assess
students via recognition--that is,multiple choice tests. However, as per
the research study on 'testing effect,' it would seem logical to postulate
that short answer essay tests would encourage superior retrieval at a
later date.

I have been studying the impact of test format on students' study
strategies based on test format and the data strongly favors essay tests
relative to time reported spending on reading and reviewing the text as
well as the processing level they choose to focus on--major ideas versus
minor details.  I now will integrate into my research how test format
impacts students' ability to retrieve the material the following semester.
 Should be interesting?!

Joan
jwarm...@oakton.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=16746