I'm a little unclear on what the original poster's issue is.  The situations
I deal with is similar to Manza's and we hold lab sessions in computer
labs where SPSS is available.  I have avoided using the "studentware
version" that comes packaged with some stat textbooks because they
don't allow one to use syntax (correct me if it is now possible to use
syntax) and I teach how to use syntax for data/program documentation,
transformation, and analysis. The "point and click" method, I believe,
causes students to develop bad habits (e.g., not documenting how an
analysis was done) which they will have to unlearn when they start
doing serious analyses in SPSS.

However, if one's college does not use or can not afford to put SPSS on
computers in their computer labs (or buy licenses to the new "cloud
based" service SPSS has been promoting -- anyone used this?)
then I would suggest moving to a package like "R" for your more
serious students and Excel with statistical add-ins for your less
serious students.  Unfortunately, learning "R" is not easy (for faculty
or student and there is massive proactive interference if you have
previously learned 4 or 5 stat packages), the "R Commander"
GUI may help in simple analyses but one is going to having to learn
to write code to do serious stuff.

I think that as SPSS becomes a more business-centric company,
it has less and less incentive to give a break to academic institutions
(that is, if they don't have a significant business school present) and
most colleges and universities will drop SPSS, perhaps move over
to SAS (which is cheaper to license), but in all likelihood go to
"R" because it is freeware and many graduate programs are now
using "R" in their statistics courses -- "R" will probably become
the standard in statistical analysis because its price warms
a university administrators heart (i.e., free).