I'm not sure you would call Darwin's change of religious attitude a "crisis of
faith." Though he denied "revelation," an atheist he never became.  Denying
Divine revelation and involement, but as a "first cause," he was closer to
being a deist or theist, maybe an agnostic.   Since I haven't been up on the
history of science for a while, I'm not sure my references are the most
up-to-date.  Take a gander at Janet Browne's two volume biography of Darwin,
particularly the second volume.  But, again, since her second volume was
published almost a decade ago, I don't know if she's the latest word.

Make it a good day

-Louis-

Louis Schmier
http://www.therandomthoughts.edublogs.org
203 E. Brookwood Pl                         http://www.therandomthoughts.com
Valdosta, Ga 31602
(C)  229-630-0821                             /\   /\  /\                 /\
 /\
                                                       /^\\/  \/   \   /\/\__
/   \  /   \
                                                      /     \/   \_ \/ /   \/
/\/  /  \    /\  \
                                                    //\/\/ /\    \__/__/_/\_\/
  \_/__\  \
                                              /\"If you want to climb
mountains,\ /\
                                          _ /  \    don't practice on mole
hills" - /   \_

On Dec 12, 2012, at 9:19 AM, Mike Palij wrote:

> I would appreciate suggestions for readings on how Darwin dealt
> with the issues of reconciling his religious faith with the implications
> of his scientific observations and explanations.  And what can be
> said about his final position. TIA.
>
> -Mike Palij
> New York University
> m...@nyu.edu