Hi

The Wikipedia entry has a number of quotes from Darwin, which suggest some
worthwhile readings.  The site makes the important point that the original
posthumous publication of Darwin's autobiography was "cleansed" of references
to Christianity by his wife, but the passages were included in a later edition.

As others have mentioned, my reading (quite some time ago) of various pieces on
Darwin, including his autobiography, do not suggest any "crisis of faith" on
his part, but rather sensitivity to the impact of a natural explanation for
phenomena once taken as evidence relevant to belief in (a) god (e.g., argument
by design, the problem of evil) on other people, including members of his own
family.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor & Chair of Psychology
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca
Room 4L41A
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
Dept of Psychology, U of Winnipeg
515 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, MB
R3B 0R4  CANADA

>>> "Mike Palij" <m...@nyu.edu> 12-Dec-12 8:19 AM >>>
I would appreciate suggestions for readings on how Darwin dealt
with the issues of reconciling his religious faith with the implications
of his scientific observations and explanations.  And what can be
said about his final position. TIA.

You are currently subscribed to tips as: j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13251.645f86b5cec4da0a56ffea7a891720c9&n=T&l=tips&o=22317