Hi

I think there are numerous problems with this requirement.  In addition
to the approach that Scott suggests, what about determining the
percentage of psychologists who get funding from national grants?
Unless the number is quite high, one is excluding a large number of
psychologists from consideration.  Moreover, what happens to people who
lose their grant a few years after tenure?  And I wonder what the impact
of such a requirement would have on applications?  Are young faculty
going to be so certain that they can get and keep funding that they will
apply to such institutions?

Another concern is how that requirement will restrict the nature of
scientific research.  I'm not familiar with the American situation, but
here in Canada the granting agencies have taken a definite turn, I would
say, to more immediately applied research and to the churning out of
highly qualified personnel (i.e., PhDs).  Basic and theoretically
important research, as well as "creative" research is likely to be
short-changed by such a process.

I would put this in the category of "more nonsense from senior
administration."

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor & Chair of Psychology
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca
Room 4L41A
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
Dept of Psychology, U of Winnipeg
515 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, MB
R3B 0R4  CANADA

>>> "Lilienfeld, Scott O" <slil...@emory.edu> 02-Jan-13 4:57 PM >>>
Hi TIPSters...happy New Year.

I beg your indulgence for just a bit, as this message doesn't have much
direct bearing on the teaching of psychology, although I do think it
carries a number of implications for how we think about academia and
what we value or do not value in our colleagues.

Here's what has moved me to write.  A number of psychology departments
in R1 institutions, including a major one in the Southeast (not Emory,
although we may be following suit soon, I predict) are in the process of
revising their  tenure and promotion documents to demand that
large-scale federal grant funding should be a strong expectation, if not
an outright requirement, for tenure (and almost certainly, promotion to
Full Professor).  I have serious reservations about this proposal for a
host of reasons, not least of which is this recent article:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v492/n7427/full/492034a.html

which has already created a firestorm of controversy, including a
recent rebuttal by NIH and a rejoinder by the authors.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v492/n7427/full/492034a.html

The merits of Nicholson and Ioannidis' provocative but contentious
piece aside, I very much worry about the move to make grant funding a
requirement or a "soft" requirement for tenure in psychology
departments.  Among other things, a good deal of excellent research in
psychology does not require federal grants, and a number of consistently
grant funded researchers in my own field of clinical psychology (names
omitted...) are not especially creative or for that matter, especially
highly cited.   There's much more to be said here, but I can leave that
for future messages.

At the risk of engaging in a bit of confirmation bias, I'm trying to
make the case that many extremely influential and creative psychologists
(or people we might loosely consider "psychologists," like Freud) did
not receive any federal grant funding.  Obviously, one can assume (or am
I wrong?) that Freud, Piaget, James, Jung, Titchener, and the like did
not apply for and receive competitive federal grants from their
countries (in the case of James and Titchener, the U.S.) in the way we
presently understand them.

But I'm wondering about more "recent" psychologists whom we would all
agree are extremely impactful.  Here is my naïve question: Is there some
easy (or if not, complicated) way of finding out whether a given
psychologist ever received federal funding?  I know that NIH and other
major granting agencies keep archives of past grant funding, but I don't
believe that such a search would be comprehensive given the large number
of potential granting agencies.  Nor do I know whether these archives
are comprehensive, or how far they go back.

So, for example, is there some way of finding out (short of reading
detailed biographies) whether Skinner, Tolman, Allport, Festinger, Asch,
Schachter, Neisser, Rock, J.J. Gibson, Loftus, Tversky, or George Miller
(I'm just throwing out some quasi-random names of people we'd all agree
are extremely influential and creative - not saying we'd all agree with
everything they wrote...) received federal grant funding for their
research (I believe that Skinner received some funding from the defense
department for applications of his work but I'm not sure whether that
should count) and if so, how much?  (as an aside, the smartest
psychologist I've ever known, Paul Meehl, received virtually no grant
funding over the course of his career).

Again, apologies to this list if the question is a silly one.   But
I've thinking about this question for a little while and have been sort
of stumped by it.

Thanks much in advance for any and all help you can provide.  ...Scott

Scott O. Lilienfeld, Ph.D.
Professor
Department of Psychology, Room 473
Emory University
36 Eagle Row
Atlanta, Georgia 30322
slii...@emory.edu; 404-727-1125

The Master in the Art of Living makes little distinction between his
work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his
education and his recreation, his love and his intellectual passions.
He hardly knows which is which.  He simply pursues his vision of
excellence in whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is
working or playing.  To him - he is always doing both.

- Zen Buddhist text
  (slightly modified)

________________________________

distribution