From: "Allen Esterson" <allenester...@compuserve.com>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)"
<tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 4:57:38 AM
Subject: re:[tips] Predatory publishers

On 5 Feb 2013 Mike Palij wrote:
>I've received requests for participation in conferences from

>unfamiliar organizations and requests for submission of

>manuscripts on psychological research from well-known
>publishers, such as Sage, which has a special price for
>submission for a short time: see http://sgo.sagepub.com/

>and APA has announced an open journal to be published in

>2013

>I f the "open" journals are as rigorous as regular journals...[...]

I have some direct experience that bears on this comment of Mike's. Early last
Spring I received an invitation for submission from Sage Open, and I already
had a couple of articles that I thought would be suitable to form the basis for
such submissions, and duly submitted them. (These were already posted on my own
website and on another hospitable website. In neither case was there an obvious
academic journal for the specific topics in question, which is why I took
advantage of the opportunity offered by Sage Open.)

I can tell you that, as one would expect from a reputable publisher of books
and journals like Sage, both have been through a full peer review process. One
has been accepted, with amendments in the light of suggestions from one of the
reviewers. The other had one positive review and one negative, and the editor
in charge (chosen for his general expertise in the topic area in question,
though not on the specific issue) suggested I submit an alternative article
based on a section that he thought merited a separate article in its own right.
As I already had previously written something suitable, I submitted this. I've
not heard back from the editor, so I presume that this has been sent out for
review.

The "special price" is not (of course) for submission, but is payable on
acceptance. It's currently $99, and a recent message from Sage in which they
reported that the majority of submissions were unsupported by University or
other bodies seemed to indicate that they may hold the publication fee at that
level.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

-------------------------------

Subject: re: Predatory publishers
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 09:40:58 -0500
On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 05:55:55 -0800, Miguel Roig wrote:
>I shared the following with my department colleagues:
>
>Have you ever received an invitation to be an editorial board member,
>present or publish your work in a newly minted open-access journal
>or be a guest speaker at international conference where you can
>showcase your latest research? There is an interesting discussion in
>another list about these phony journals or so-called "predatory publishers"
>and someone posted a link to a site which keeps track of them:
>http://scholarlyoa.com/2012/12/06/bealls-list-of-predatory-publishers-2013/ .
>Right now only a few of the journals are in the social sciences, but given
>the rapid proliferation of these types of for-profit entities, more journals
>in
>psychology and other disciplines will start to show up in coming years or
>even months.

I've received requests for participation in conferences from unfamiliar
organizations and requests for submission of manuscripts on psychological
research from well-known publishers, such as Sage, which has a
special price for submission for a short time; see:
http://sgo.sagepub.com/
and APA has announced an open journal to be published in 2013; see:
http://www.apa.org/pubs/newsletters/access/2012/08-21/first-journal.aspx

If the "open" journals are as rigorous as regular journals, then it will
still be difficult to get crappy research published which raises the
question of "why bother?" I assume that if one has difficulty in get
a manuscript published in a "top tier" journal, one would try one of
the "pay per page" journals where one is more likely to be accepted,
even if there is "peer review" (the issue being whether the peer review
associated with these journals are of the same quality as the reviewers
in the top journals).

It is good to know that there are "must to avoid" journals for two reasons:
(1) avoiding publishing in them and (2) critically evaluating articles from
such journals that students might get and want it to serve as the basis
for research or other activities.

You are currently subscribed to tips as: miguelr...@comcast.net .

To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=466839.0421d1005414eed82340aa280e7ce629&n=T&l=tips&o=23493