NOTE: Post #3 to Tips today.

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 07:58:36 -0700, Paul Brandon wrote:
Strictly speaking, they have shown that brain activity in response to spoken
instructions can be detected and linked to a computer, and some interesting
observations about the interactions among the various brain structures
involved.  Thoughts are an inference.

True.  The observation of the entity is indirect. Like looking at the
trail marks on a film panel left by a subatomic particle.

BTW -- monkeys can do it to.
Can they think?

We would have to come to some sort of agreement about one means by
the word "think" but, if we exclude language and define thinking or cognitive
processes as computation performed by systems of neural networks, then
the answer is obvious:

Yes.

The remaining problem is identifying which neural circuits and networks
and clusters of network are involved and the degree to which those in
humans are similar to those in monkeys and other species.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=26030
or send a blank email to
leave-26030-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu