Joel,

UWF does a 1 sh course (careers in Psychology) as an online course. It is
intended for students at the beginning of the major (a 2000-level course).
It had 10 modules, ranging from advising (meeting graduation requirements
for the major, disciplinary skills (an introduction to writing in
APAstyle, exploring different areas in psychology), professional
ethical
issues (what is required before claiming competency to serve in a
therapeutic role), preparation for graduate school and exploration of the
job market (with a BA/BS, an MA, or a Ph.D.).

I describe the structure of this course in a chapter in *Teaching Critical
Thinking in Psychology *(Dunn et al., 2008).
Deb Briihl describes a senior-level capstone course in the same chapter.

I haven't taught the course in some time. Joan Duer now teaches the course (
jd...@uwf.edu).

One of the greatest challenges in doing this online is keeping the students
engaged and on task. Too many students think they can procrastinate and
"do" the entire course in a few weeks. The good part about doing it online
is that you can adopt a mastery approach and require students to complete
short quizzes (e.g., on graduation requirements, ethics) until they achieve
a target level of skill. We set up a number of quizzes that students took
repeatedly until they achieved the target score.

Claudia

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.
Director
Center for University Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
Associate Professor
NSF UWF Faculty ADVANCE Scholar
School of Psychological and Behavioral Sciences
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514

Phone:   (850) 857-6355 (direct) or  473-7435 (CUTLA)

csta...@uwf.edu

CUTLA Web Site: http://uwf.edu/cutla/
Personal Web Pages: http://uwf.edu/cstanny/website/index.htm

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Joel S. Freund <jsfre...@uark.edu> wrote:

>                  Our department is working on developing a new (for us)
> course to cover those topics all of get asked, including:  What can I do
> with my degree in Psychology?  What graduate programs are there?  How do I
> go about applying to graduate school?  What do I need to apply?  What
> careers are available?  and most of the others you can think of.  We are
> thinking about  a 2-credit course required of all majors, to be taken
> sometime before the senior year.  If any of you have such courses, I would
> appreciate any syllabi, information, etc. that will help use avoid the
> pitfalls.  We are particularly looking to have the course be an one-line
> course, so any help or sage advice (don’t do it?) along those lines would
> be extremely useful.****
>
> ** **
>
>                 Thank you in advance for all your wise counsel,****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Joel****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Joel S. Freund, Ph. D.****
>
> Department of Psychological Science****
>
> 216 Memorial Hall****
>
> Fayetteville, AR 72701-1201****
>
> (479) 575-4256 (Ph)    (479) 521-5672 (Fax)****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ---
>
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: csta...@uwf.edu.
>
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13144.1572ed60024e708cf21c4c6f19e7d550&n=T&l=tips&o=28724
>
> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>
> or send a blank email to
> leave-28724-13144.1572ed60024e708cf21c4c6f19e7d...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=28726
or send a blank email to