And so?

Make it a good day

-Louis-

Louis Schmier
http://www.therandomthoughts.edublogs.org
203 E. Brookwood Pl                         http://www.therandomthoughts.com
Valdosta, Ga 31602
(C)  229-630-0821                             /\   /\  /\                 /\
 /\
                                                      /^\\/  \/   \   /\/\__
/   \  /   \
                                                     /     \/   \_ \/ /   \/
/\/  /  \    /\  \
                                                   //\/\/ /\    \__/__/_/\_\/
 \_/__\  \
                                             /\"If you want to climb
mountains,\ /\
                                         _ /  \    don't practice on mole
hills" - /   \_

On Oct 31, 2013, at 6:01 AM, Allen Esterson wrote:

> From Chronicle of Higher Education, 31 October 2013:
>
> The 2009 book Positivity: Top-Notch Research Reveals the 3 to 1 Ratio That
> Will Change Your Life, by Barbara Fredrickson, was praised by the
> heavyweights of psychology. Daniel Gilbert said it provided a “scientifically
> sound prescription for joy.” Daniel Goleman extolled its “surefire methods
> for transforming our lives.” Martin E.P. Seligman often called the father of
> positive psychology, raved that “this book, like Barb, is the ‘real thing.’”
> […] The book grew out of a 2005 paper by Fredrickson and Marcial Losada, a
> Chiliean psychologist and consultant, the findings of which suggest that “a
> set of general mathematical principles may describe the relations between
> positive affect and human flourishing.”…
>
> Then along came Nick Brown, a graduate student in applied positive psychology
> at the University of East London…
>
> Read the rest here:
> http://chronicle.com/blogs/percolator/the-magic-ratio-that-wasnt/33279
>
> The cited (genuinely scholarly) article on the misuse of mathematics as
> described by Nick Brown is here:
>
> http://arxiv.org/abs/1307.7006
>
> http://arxiv.org/pdf/1307.7006v1.pdf
>
> Allen Esterson
> Former lecturer, Science Department
> Southwark College, London
> allenester...@compuserve.com
> http://www.esterson.org
> ---
>
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: lschm...@valdosta.edu.
>
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=931223.50b956e1f0f315eddcd01dfbd8b87bc1&n=T&l=tips&o=29252
>
> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>
> or send a blank email to
> leave-29252-931223.50b956e1f0f315eddcd01dfbd8b87...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=29255
or send a blank email to