On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 15:20:46 -0700, Ken Steele  wrote:
Memo to Time.com:

You want people to look at your site. Your site is so bloated
by advertisements that it can't be navigated.

I must be lucky.  I did not have a deluge of adverts.

BTW, schools committed to business programs and engineering
programs dominate your top schools. It would seem that 5 year
salary is your favorite metric.

Well, I think that is one of key metrics:  which college represents the
best return on investment.  "Criain's New York Business" is a
business news source and they have an article on the NY
colleges that are in the top 200 ranks (there are 18 and guess
which one is not among them).  The article's author contacted
Mark Schneider who helped compile the list (he is the former
commissioner of the U.S. Dept of Ed's National Center for
Education Statistics) and the following quote expresses his
position:

|"The list has nothing to do with gratification, survey data or
|what people think," said Mr. Schneider, in a not-so-subtle
|reference to the famous U.S. News and World Report school
|rankings. "It has to do with objective data."
|
|He explained that the new ranking system focuses on the
|balance between what students spend to attend a school and
|what they get after graduation.
|
|Institutions were required to meet some conditions, including a
|graduation rate at least 25% above what would be expected given
|the incomes and test scores of its students and no financial troubles
|for the schools. Not all schools provided enough information to be
|considered for the list. The institutions were then ranked on 17
|measures in three equally weighted categories: affordability,
|career earnings and educational quality.
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20140728/NONPROFITS/140729866/top-colleges-for-the-money-nyc-has-18-of-em

By the way, the picture in the article is of the "new" Cooper Union
academic building that was completed a few years ago. And, yes,
it does look as weird as hell, even in the East Village (it is on 3rd
Avenue and spans 6th-7th streets). If you imagine the position
of the photographer who is across 3rd Avenue and slightly to the
north, right behind it is the classic Cooper Union Foundation Building.
It dates from 1853 and this website has a postcard that shows
it along with the old 3rd Avenue elevated train -- there are other
pictures that show different faces of the building. There is a small
park in front of the south face which is currently undergoing major
renovation (this is the face in the postcard; Super storm
Sandy did some damage to the park, causing at least one big
old tree to have fallen down with roots exposed); see:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=125226

Local Note: North of the foundation building was a building that
housed Cooper Union school of engineering.  They tore that
down and a big black glass facade building went up in its
place. The building takes up a whole block from Astor Place
to 3rd Avenue and it is mainly an office building but St. John's
University appears to have moved into the ground floor.
I guess they wanted to be located near a "higher class"
of college. ;-)