So, Cooper Union, NYU, and McSorley's. Hey, we are in classier company! :)

Miguel

PS: I, too, have been to McSorley's once or twice back in the late 70s/early
80s. Memories ...
From: Mike Palij [m...@nyu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:23 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Cc: Michael Palij
Subject: RE: [tips] Holy Crap! The New Phonebook Is Here And Somebody Is Not
Going To Be Happy!

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014 03:15:28 -0700, Miguel Roig wrote:
>Yes! for over a decade, we owned a building in Murray Street, a couple
>of
>blocks from the World Trade Center, but the university sold it last
>year,
> http://www.cpexecutive.com/regions/northeast/cw-reps-st-johns-university-in-sale-of-101-murray-st-in-lower-manhattan/1004080716.html
> .
> The building had classroom space and dorms, which many out-of-state
> students
>really liked, but other than the dorms, it seemed to always be
>underused.
>Anyway, Mike I guess MIke is right, in an effort to maintain a presence
>in
>Manhattan we now lease classroom space from 'classier' Cooper Union. :)

Here is a street level view of 51 Astor Place, the building that St John
will
be located within (there already is signage on the ground floor for an
entrance to St John).
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.729695,-73.990308,3a,90y,34.48h,72.95t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sq_zH_60jhIpJ1qNwe_LQGg!2e0
One can rotate the street view and if one rotates it 180 degrees,
one will see the Cooper Union Foundation building.

The street in front of 51 Astor is technically "Astor Place" but is part
of the 8th St-St Marks Place road (8th st becomes St Mark's Place
just east of this point).  The brown building directly across the street
(actually 3rd Avenue) is a Cooper Union dorm.  The earth toned
building up/north on 3rd Avenue is an NYU dorm (another NYU dorm
is two blocks further north; close by to that is a New School dorm).
So, during the academic year, this area tends to have a fair number
of students around (NYU has other buildings nearby).  I should
note that though 51 Astor is next to "classy" Cooper Union,
it across the street from a K-mart (on the west side of the building)
which may detract from the classiness.  But, historically, the East
Village was not known for being classy but "exotic and glamorous".
Unfortunately, with all of the new building and the gentrification of
Alphabet City, it is losing those qualities year by year (much to the
dismay of long-time East Village residents).

I should point out that one benefit of being in the area is that one
is just a short walk from McSorley's Old Ale House (15 East 7th St).
For those who are unfamiliar with this place (opened in 1854),
here the Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McSorley%27s_Old_Ale_House
Among its patrons over the years: Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses S. Grant,
Teddy Roosevelt, Peter Cooper, Boss Tweed, and Woody Guthrie.
Quoting from the Wiki entry:

|In his 1923 poem "i was sitting in mcsorley's," poet E. E. Cummings
|described McSorley's as "the ale which never lets you grow old."
|He also described the bar as "snug and evil."[14]

And here is McSorley's website:
http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/

I've been in McSorley's when I was younger but have not been in it
in decades -- too many college students and tourists these days.
But it is a place one should go to at least once, have a couple of
ales and a plate of cheese, onions, and crackers.  Just don't go
on St Patty's Day. ;-)

P.S. McSorley's is just across the street from the new Cooper Union
building, that really weird looking one.  What a contrast.

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: ro...@stjohns.edu.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=1632838.7e62b84813297f170a6fc240dab8c12d&n=T&l=tips&o=37786