From: Christopher Green [mailto:chri...@yorku.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:15 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Teach statistics before calculus

Funny, just earlier today I was saying that the reason so many students have so
much trouble with the (continuous) statistics that we teach in psychology is
that we are essentially trying to teach them a topic that requires a knowledge
of calculus without making them take calculus first. That's what all those
tables in the back of the book are: they integrate over probability
distributions so that we can lookup (rather than calculate directly) the
proportion of area up to a given x-axis value (z, t, F, chi-square, etc.).

So this guy might be right that stats is at the top of the pyramid, but only
because it passes directly through calculus.

Chris
Christopher D Green
Department of Psychology
York University
Toronto, ON M3J 1P#
Canada

chri...@yorku.ca
http://www.yorku.ca/christo

On Sep 30, 2014, at 5:04 PM, Miguel Roig <ro...@stjohns.edu> wrote:

> It's only 3 minutes long and there is probably nothing here that you don't
> already know, but I thought it was worth sharing.
>
> http://www.ted.com/talks/arthur_benjamin_s_formula_for_changing_math_education
>
> Miguel
> Miguel Roig, Ph.D.
> Professor of Psychology