When I was in graduate school, there was one area in the department that
always had doctoral students coming to our lab in the experimental wing
with stacks of old green-bar BMDP printouts.  A common question was,
"These are the results from my dissertation.  Can you tell me what they
mean?"

Since I didn't help design the study or collect the data, the usual
answer was, "No."  BMDP, Minitab, SPSS, SAS, etc. do encourage learning
data-entry skills.  Add the GUI features, and you can spend all day
clicking on analyses with no understanding of what they mean.

I'm a calculator/Excel person.  Sometimes, I even ask students to do
complex calculations (like what is 1/2 of 1/3) in their heads!

Michael T. Scoles, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology & Counseling
University of Central Arkansas
Conway, AR 72035
Phone: 501-450-5418
Fax: 501-450-5424

AVID: UCA dedicates itself to Academic Vitality, Integrity, and
Diversity.

>>> Christopher Green <chri...@yorku.ca> 10/1/2014 1:54 PM >>>
In all honesty, I think there is nothing like plugging number into
formulas to make one really understand then internal mechanics of
statistical (and other mathematical/computational) procedures. If all
you do is line the data up and out pops and answer on the other side,
nothing was learned. It might as well have been magic.

Chris
*..
Christopher D Green
Department of Psychology
York University
Toronto, ON M3J 1P#
Canada

chri...@yorku.ca
http://www.yorku.ca/christo
************...

On Oct 1, 2014, at 10:07 AM, Marc Carter <marc.car...@bakeru.edu>
wrote:

> I'd agree, withte proviso that "by hand" allows things like excel.
One can build formulas in excel and not have to do the tedious and
time-wasting computations we all had to do (who thinks it's important to
compute sums of squares with hand calculators anymore?).  Time is better
spent, as far as I can tell, talking about the mathematical objects
(what *is* a sum of suqares?  how does it behave?) than using up time
calculating it.

> But, that's just my two cents.

Most of the stats actually used in psychological research is continuous,
not discrete.

> As for stats courses that allow student to depend on computers, and
never do hand calculations using formulas* this student have not learned
statistics. They have learned data-entry.

> Chris
> *..
> Christopher D Green
> Department of Psychology
> York University
> Toronto, ON M3J 1P#
> Canada
>
> chri...@yorku.ca
> http://www.yorku.ca/christo
> ************...
>
> On Oct 1, 2014, at 8:01 AM, Jim Clark <j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> One reason I like probability and binomial in intro stats (despite
student protest) is that students can determine p distribution if H0
true, without calculus. And provides a concrete foundation for normal
distribution, which binomial approaches as n increases.

>> Also possible to use simulations to show the resulting probability
distributions agree nicely with theoretical ps produced by calculus.

>> Although calculus allows for alternative (deeper?) understanding of
distributions, not clear that it is necessary.

>> Of course, calculus has other benefits for stats, such as proof that
SS is a minimum.

>> Take care
>> Jim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Oct 1, 2014, at 5:42 AM, "Miguel Roig" <ro...@stjohns.edu>
wrote:

>>> Chris, I believe that we have had discussions here about the
practicality of teaching students to do hand calculations from formulas
given the wide availability of statistical software. If so, do those who
learn in classes in which the emphasis is primarily conceptual and
software-based even taught how to look up p values in those tables? :)

>>> Miguel

students have so much trouble with the (continuous) statistics that we
teach in psychology is that we are essentially trying to teach them a
topic that requires a knowledge of calculus without making them take
calculus first. That's what all those tables in the back of the book
are: they integrate over probability distributions so that we can lookup
(rather than calculate directly) the proportion of area up to a given
x-axis value (z, t, F, chi-square, etc.).

>>> So this guy might be right that stats is at the top of the pyramid,
but only because it passes directly through calculus.

>>> Chris
>>> Christopher D Green
>>> Department of Psychology
>>> York University
>>> Toronto, ON M3J 1P#
>>> Canada
>>>
>>> chri...@yorku.ca
>>> http://www.yorku.ca/christo

you don't already know, but I thought it was worth sharing.

http://www.ted.com/talks/arthur_benjamin_s_formula_for_changing_math_education

http://ori.dhhs.gov/education/products/plagiarism/

leave-38783-430248.781165b5ef80a3cd2b14721caf62b...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=1632838.7e62b84813297f170a6fc240dab8c12d&n=T&l=tips&o=38787