I have a video of an interview of Skinner talking about variable ratio
schedules as being well exemplified by slot machines.  Wouldn't checking
for messages be the same thing?  Sometimes you get one, sometimes you
don't.  But not getting one doesn't make you less likely to check.  And
*sometimes* getting one makes you more likely to check.

Beth Benoit
Plymouth State University
Plymouth, New Hampshire

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 6:35 PM, Michael Britt <mich...@thepsychfiles.com>
wrote:

> Parents know how hard it can be for kids to stay away from their social
> media connections - be it facebook, instagram or Snapchat.  As soon as my
> 15-year old gets out of swim practice it’s the first thing he does.  After
> all, there might be a message for him.  This would be variable interval
> reinforcement if I’m correct - he doesn’t have to actually do anything but
> a new message (reinforcer) might have arrived.
>
> It seems pretty darn powerful, which seems weird because I’ve always
> thought of variable interval reinforcers as weak.  Thoughts?
>
> Michael
>
> Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
> mich...@thepsychfiles.com
> http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
> Twitter: @mbritt
>

> ---
>
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: beth.ben...@gmail.com.
>
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13105.b9b37cdd198e940b73969ea6ba7aaf72&n=T&l=tips&o=45725
>
> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>
> or send a blank email to
> leave-45725-13105.b9b37cdd198e940b73969ea6ba7aa...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=45726
or send a blank email to