There is an easy trick to distinguish between VI and VR schedules.  First,
imagine a FR 25 schedule.  If you double your response rate then you will
double your reinforcement rate.  The same rule applies to a VR 25
schedule.  On the other hand, imagine a FI 60 sec schedule.  What happens
if you double your response rate?  The reinforcement rate will remain about
constant because the 60-sec rule must be satisfied for either case.

The easy way to distinguish between a VI and a VR reinforcement schedule is
to imagine the effect of doubling your response rate.  If the reinforcement
rate doubles then you are dealing with a VR schedule.  If the reinforcement
rate remains about constant then you are dealing with a VI schedule.

Applying that rule to slot machines and email gives you the following.
Doubling the rate at which you enter coins into a slot machine will double
the rate at which you receive the consequence, hence a VR schedule.
Doubling the rate at which you check your email will not double the number
of emails that you receive, hence a VI schedule.

Ken

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 6:41 PM, Beth Benoit <beth.ben...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a video of an interview of Skinner talking about variable ratio
> schedules as being well exemplified by slot machines.  Wouldn't checking
> for messages be the same thing?  Sometimes you get one, sometimes you
> don't.  But not getting one doesn't make you less likely to check.  And
> *sometimes* getting one makes you more likely to check.
>
> Beth Benoit
> Plymouth State University
> Plymouth, New Hampshire
>
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 6:35 PM, Michael Britt <mich...@thepsychfiles.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Parents know how hard it can be for kids to stay away from their social
>> media connections - be it facebook, instagram or Snapchat.  As soon as my
>> 15-year old gets out of swim practice it’s the first thing he does.  After
>> all, there might be a message for him.  This would be variable interval
>> reinforcement if I’m correct - he doesn’t have to actually do anything but
>> a new message (reinforcer) might have arrived.
>>
>> It seems pretty darn powerful, which seems weird because I’ve always
>> thought of variable interval reinforcers as weak.  Thoughts?
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
>> mich...@thepsychfiles.com
>> http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
>> Twitter: @mbritt
>>

>> ---
>>
>> You are currently subscribed to tips as: beth.ben...@gmail.com.
>>
>> To unsubscribe click here:
>> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13105.b9b37cdd198e940b73969ea6ba7aaf72&n=T&l=tips&o=45725
>>
>> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>>
>> or send a blank email to
>> leave-45725-13105.b9b37cdd198e940b73969ea6ba7aa...@fsulist.frostburg.edu
>>

> ---
>
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: steel...@appstate.edu.
>
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13524.94845a3ed9806f1cef14973830dd8c39&n=T&l=tips&o=45726
>
> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>
> or send a blank email to
> leave-45726-13524.94845a3ed9806f1cef14973830dd8...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu
Professor