On Jun 30, 2016, at 11:20 AM, Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
<jeff.ric...@scottsdalecc.edu> wrote:

> MY QUESTIONS: Does anyone know if it was common in the early nineteenth
> century for translators of scholarly works not to identify themselves? Or
> might it be that he didn’t want his name associated with a book about
> “self-pollution.”

A possibility just occurred to me.”Dr. Translator” started the preface with
some curious statements:

“In giving to the public translations of foreign works, it is usual to preface
them with apologies and reasons for so doing. As for apologies I shall make
none. My reasons for offering this translation to the profession and to the
public generally, are these.”

At this point, he argued in essence that the subject of the book was so
important that medical professionals and the general public needed to read it.

But his comment that translators “of foreign works” usually feel the need to
apologize suggested that, with respect to medical treatises, at least,
translators may have preferred to  stay anonymous. Does  anyone know if this is
correct?

Jeff

Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
Social/Behavioral Sciences