On Jul 1, 2016, at 9:31 AM, Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D. <jeff.ric...@scottsdalecc.edu>
wrote:

> It’s interesting that Hodges (2005), who has done much research on this
> topic, did not reference the translator’s name. Perhaps “Dr. Translator” did
> a very good job covering his tracks, although I suspect that, at the time it
> was published, many of his colleagues knew who he was,

I forgot to include the citation:

Hodges, F. M. (2005). History of sexual medicine: The antimasturbation crusade
in antebellum American medicine. The Journal of Sexual Medicine, 2(5), 722-731.

In the United States, the War on Masturbation began to "climax" in the mid-19th
century--a climax that continued into perhaps the first third of the twentieth
century, although the claims made about the deleterious effects of chronic
"self-abuse" evolved through this time period.

There's a passage in the first edition of the Boy Scout's Handbook (1911) that
sounds like General Ripper's paranoid ramblings about the loss of "precious
bodily fluids" in Stanley Kubrick's "Dr. Strangelove. I'll find it and send it
later.

Best,
Jeff

Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.