Christopher Green wrote:
[snip]

>but of a ton of medical research (classic cancer
>experiments aren’t replicating), not to mention
>the rest of the social/behavioral sciences (every
>single one of which — except economics — shows an
>[in]explicable hump just inside the .05 p-value, when
>you survey the literature — graph here: >
>https://twitter.com/jtleek/status/890180014733492225
><https://twitter.com/jtleek/status/890180014733492225>).

I must admit that it is a pretty graph but it really should be called

a "ridgeplot" instead of a "joyplot" ("joy" comes from the band "Joy

Division" which actually refers to a horrendous situation -- google it

if you really want to know).  But maybe I'm too skeptic of things but

if you actually get the data (its in a R data formatted file which with

the right wizardry can be imported into SPSS), all 3+ million cases

and just select the sources for psychology and sociology (N=78,6K, that's

what the person who put the data together used in the "field" variable)

you will see the following if you code p-values into 1 unit bands

(i.e., 5.00 to 4.00 -- p-values are expressed as percentages) all the

way down to p<.00 (no, the p-value is not zero but really, really, really

tiny -- maybe a little too tiny?).

​Why, all of the p-values are less than .01.  How can that be if there
is supposed

to be a "hump" in the .04-.05 interval?  Maybe not in this dataset.

What do we see if we include all of the cases (3.6+ million cases)?

​The top row (1) contains sources with a p-value between 4-5 and there is only

one such case. There are no results with a p-value between 3-4. There are

3 values in the intervanl 2-3, and 9 values in the interval 1-2. There are over

3.6 million cases with p-values between 0-1 and 20.8K with a p-value
less than .01.

This doesn't seem to match the ridgeplot that Jeff Leek has but we have analyzed

the data in different ways and I admit that maybe I made an error somewhere but

reviewing my work, I don't see any errors.

So, no "hump" in the interval .04-05 and as the p-values decrease, the
frequencies

increase up to the interval .01-.00.  For p<= .001, there is a significant drop.

So, what pattern are we supposed to see if these are terrible studies?

If one looks at the raw p-values what is most striking is how many cases with

p< .00000001 there are (are p-value that are all zero up to the 16th
decimal value).

This is really peculiar because either the effect sizes are Godzilla
sized or the

sample sizes are Godzilla sized or both (i.e., Godzilla^2).

Yes, I think there is a replication crisis but I don't think that the data that

Jeff Leek used to make his pretty ridgelplot graph provides any support for

it.  But what do I know, right?  Anyone can download the data from the Github

website and do the analyses I report either in R or SPSS or whatever statistical

software one uses.

I await the coming results.

By the way, because the tables above are jpegs, this post probably won't

make it into the Mail Archive or the digest but you should get it if you get

post via direct email.

-MIke Palij

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=51597
or send a blank email to