Glen meant to say that not all wireless adapters (not access points) work with 
TiVo.  You should have no problem with whatever access point (router) you 
choose.  But he's right about the TiVo brand adapter.  If you go the wireless 
route do yourself a favor and buy theirs.



________________________________
From: Glen Farney <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:16:26 PM
Subject: Re: [TiVo Central] Getting started with a new Tivo HD


Tivo service costs money to everyone as far as I know.  There are probably 
some special deals now and then to get some free or discount time, but 
generally, everyone pays.

If you plan to keep it, lifetime service may be available, do the math, it 
pays for itself in a matter of a few years, well worth the extra up front 
cost.  I got my initial lifetime service back in 2001, for a mere $199 (the 
box was $399).  Best 6 bills I ever spent.

You'll need to connect to the internet or a phone line in order to use tivo 
functionality.  You can either hook up a cat5 cable (Ethernet) to your home 
broadband router, or if you have wifi at your house, you can use one of many 
USB wireless access points.  Be ware that not all wireless access points 
function fully with tivo, the tivo brand ones costs extra, but mine has 
worked flawlessly.  You can also plug in an old school phone line and it 
will dial out once a day to get program updates, but you'll not have as many 
features available, since many of them use the home network and internet 
connection to work.

It sounds like you may be outside the US, I don't know much about what tivo 
offers outside the states...  someone here may.

Glen

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "jristerj" <jrist...@gmail. com>
To: <tivocentral@ yahoogroups. com>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 12:00 PM
Subject: [TiVo Central] Getting started with a new Tivo HD

>I am new to this group and would appreciate some advice. I just
> purchased a new TiVo HD DVR. The Start here booklet that came with the
> TiVo says to activate the TiVo service, which is available free of
> charge from www.tivo.com. au/activate. When I try to do this, my TSN is
> not reconised and they say to call a US number which wants 12 something
> a month for the TiVo service. Is this something everyone has to pay or
> should I have gotten some kind of free service with the new TiVo? I am
> not trying to cheat but don't want to pay for something I don't have to.
>
> jristerj
>
> 

   


      

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to