Hello friends,

For about three years, I allowed TiVo to change the way I watch 
television.  I loved it!

Now, due to Comcast insisting that they are going to upgrade the 
higher channels to digital, and demanding that I get (free) boxes from 
them, I cannot seem to get proper channel changes, and therefore am 
missing some of the programs I like to watch.

I am using the Comcast DTA (digital transport adapter) in conjunction 
with the infrared blasters plugged into the TiVo boxes, and sometimes 
the channels change correctly, sometimes they don't.

TiVo instructions say to stick the IR blasters to the DTA box so that 
the sending unit is about 1.5 inches from the sensor.  I have done 
that, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

So I used the remote sensor on the DTA box, have the IR blasters 
positioned about 1.5 inches from that, and still, the channel changes 
are not correct every time.  Sometimes they are, sometimes they're not.

I've gone through the process of letting the TiVo learn how to change 
the channels, and it works on most of the channel changes, but the 
problems, occur with the higher channels (35 to 82), where sometimes I 
want 56 and I get 5.  Sometimes I want 56 and I get 6.

Is there a magic way to tell when you have the blasters positioned 
correctly?

And I don't suppose ... I could not be lucky enough ... it is possible 
to use a cable with little tiny jacks on both ends, and have the TiVo 
IR OUT plug directly into the DTA IR IN and have it work properly?

Having infrared between the two units is like driving on a four-lane 
freeway, then having it narrow to two lanes and traffic gets all 
screwed up.  IR is the two lane section.  Talk about the weakest link 
in a chain.

If I can't get this to work reliably, I may have little choice other 
to go to Comcast's own cable-box-DVR thingie, and lose all the 
goodness of owning two TiVo boxes.

I suppose I could have known that it would be too good to last forever.


Dave Schultheis
San Jose

--

dave6592 [at] accesscom [dot] com - http://www.accesscom.com/~dave6592
Dave Schultheis, San José, Silicon Valley, Santa Clara County, CA, USA

Reply via email to