IF the old drive will last long enough to use disk imaging software, there's no 
reason I couldn't go that route is there?




________________________________
From: MegaZone <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:09:19 AM
Subject: Re: [TiVo Central] TiVo series 2 dead or dying drive

  
Once upon a time Jeremy Sullivan shaped the electrons to say...
> I've been worried about this drive for some time.  Twice the TiVo
> has been unresponsive with the hard drive clicking loudly, but
> cycling power made it go away.  Then some recordings were having
> brief periods of extreme pixelation.  Now it locks up occasionally
> and doesn't always boot.

That's a failing drive.

> I'm going to try to Kick Start the TiVo, but if that doesn't work
> (and I'm not hopeful) then I'll replace the hard drive.  I have a
> spare 80GB parallel IDE drive ready.  Is this still the best
> instructions on how to get this done?

It may help it limp along by flagging bad sectors to avoid, but if the
drive is clicking and showing those symptoms I'd just replace it
before it dies.

> http://www.newrelea sesvideo. com/hinsdale- how-to/index9. html

Those will probably work, but these are newer:
http://tivo. upgrade-instruct ions.com/ index.php

Personally I think it is worth the $20 to just pick up an Instant Cake
CD from DVRupgrade.com.  It makes it trivial - just boot the CD and
use the wizard, done.  I did the manual process before and I've used
Instant Cake, and I'd never do it manually again.  My time is worth
more than $20.

-MZ
-- 
megazone-at- megazone. org http://www.MegaZone.org/ Gweep, Geek, Human, me.
http://www.GizmoLovers.com/ http://www.Eyrie- Productions. com/ -><- Hail Eris
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171

   


      

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to