On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 14:38, Gary Mack <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a M cable card installed in my dual input hd tivo. Works fine! fyi,
> A comcast tech told me that they will be coming
> out with a new on demand cable card soon.


That Comcast tech is smoking something funny.

There is no such thing as an 'on demand cable card' - not now, not ever.
 All CableCARDs are capable of supporting two-way systems, always have been.
 What determines if it works is the host platform - ie the TiVo.  No TiVo
sold to date is two-way - they're all UDCPs, Uni-directional Digital Cable
Products.  They don't have a transmitter to send signals back to the head
end.  (Not really TiVo's choice, it comes down to standards, etc - I'll not
get into that.)

Now, the Comcast tech could have his wires crossed, because there are two
possible solutions:
1. He was talking about a new TiVo box which is coming soon, the widely
rumored Series4 aka TiVo Premier, which may support tru2way and thus enable
VOD services.
2. Tuning adapters add the missing transmitter to the S3/TiVo HD to support
SDV.  Right now that's *only* SDV, but there is no reason TiVo couldn't work
with a cable provider to add support in the software to handle that
providers VOD signalling.

A while back TiVo announced they were working with Seachange, a major
provider of cable VOD head end systems, to support their VOD content in the
TiVo platform.  Then TiVo announced that RCN would be switching to TiVo for
their DVRs for all cable customers, including VOD support.  If the code
exists, then perhaps that means Comcast will also be enabling VOD for their
TiVo customers through one of the two above means.

Well, there is a third possibility - VOD could be supported in a
non-standard way by using the Internet as the back channel for signalling,
but that'd require a lot more work from the cable provider.

Now, as for the original subject of the thread, I've had a TiVo with
CableCARDs since before the S3 shipped to the public and I've only had a
couple of issues in those 3.5+ years.  I've had to RMA the box, which
required re-pairing the cards.  And I've had a couple of issues with my
Tuning Adapters wedging and needing to be power cycled to re-enabled tuning.
 (Charter rolled out SDV in my area a bit over a year ago.)  Basically it is
as stable as I think it is going to get.  The old S3 needs two cards -
S-Card or M-Card.  The TiVo HD can use two S-Cards or one M-Card - since
they often charge by the card, the latter is better.

I happen to be in Seattle for the next five weeks - I just started a new job
with F5 Networks and I'm in town for training.

-- 
[email protected] / [email protected] Geek, Gweep, Technophile, me.
www.GizmoLovers.com / www.MegaZone.org / www.Eyrie-Productions.com Hail Eris
Twitter.com/megazone / Facebook.com/megazone / www.LinkedIn.com/in/megazone
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 432-363-4296


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to