Is one of the units wired and the other wireless ?  I've heard that the 
wireless connections are limited in terms of file transfer, perhaps the 
wired aren't limited in the same way.  Signal strength may have something to 
do with it.

My experience with a S3HD box is that files transfer to the PC in near real 
time, which is to say very slow.

Also, the record quality will effect the size of the file, HD are about 4x 
the size of a SD program of the same length, even more so if you use the 
higher quality levels.  Digital shows record at the native quality, and 
don't get reduced in size based on the preferences like analog shows do.

I've never tried to move a show from Tivo 1 to PC to Tivo 2, so I'm not sure 
how that works given they each have a different Media Access Key.  There are 
programs like DirectShowDump that allow you to convert them to basic .mpeg 
file format to watch on any PC.

And my favorite method to move something as large as a TV show between 
computers over the internet is DropBox.  You get 2 gig of space for free, 
and additional space if someone you refer signs up and installs the program. 
It works very easily, it's simply a folder on your PC that synchronizes to 
match the folders installed on other computers that also had it installed. 
It operates mostly in the background, and there's also a web interface to 
use.

*** PLEASE***, if you are considering using DropBox, let me know, I will 
send you a referral and I'll get an extra 250 mb of storage space for the 
referral, it costs you nothing to help me gain some capacity, just a little 
time while I refer you.  I have not gotten any spam from DropBox and have 
nothing but good luck with it.  CNET recently did a little How To on moving 
large files, and DropBox was the favorite choice of the editor doing the 
show.

Glen

Reply via email to