On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 16:49, bertamott <[email protected]> wrote:

> 2 Questions regarding transferring recorded shows...
>
> 1. I have 3 series 3 units -
> living room
> bedroom
> daughters room
>
> When I transfer a show from daughters room to living room - it takes about
> 12-14 minutes to transfer an hour long recording....the opposite is also
> true.  When I transfer between bedroom and living room or bedroom and
> daughters room - an hour program takes longer then an hour to
> transfer....WHY??  All three units are set with the same configurations and
> all three have the tivo wireless...
>

As others have said, it is probably a network strength and/or interference
issue.  If you can go wired, that's the best bet.  Another option is a WiFi
booster/repeater setup between the bedroom and your WiFi base station to
relay the signal at a higher strength.  Also, as was mentioned, there are 11
WiFi channels in the US 1-11.  But, to put it briefly, only channels 1, 6,
and 11 do not overlap with each other.  And pretty much every WiFi access
point defaults to 6.  So you may see improvement if you switch to 1 or 11.


> 2.  I still have a couple of series 2 units - if I were to hook one up
> would I be able to transfer shows saved on the living tivo to that unit?  My
> thought is to set up in other daughter's room (she's away at college) for
> her to be able to use when she is home...the unit I'm thinking of putting in
> there is a lifetime one so I don't have to worry about paying for a
> subscription for it...
>

You can transfer SD content from a S3/HD to an S2, and transfer SD (aka all)
content from an S2 to an S3/HD.  But not HD content can be transferred to an
S2.


> oops - third question just came up - my college daughter was telling me
> that she has a friend who has a tivo set up at here home and is able to get
> the recording away at school on her laptop - how would one go about getting
> that????
>

A couple of ways I can think of - the best and easiest is to just have a
Slingbox at home and stream the content: http://www.slingbox.com/

Other ways - setup the home firewall so you can hit a port on the firewall
and be forwarded to the TiVo, then use the browser download trick.  You
could have a PC at home with the desktop client for downloads, and remote
into that PC using any remote connection system, like VPN, RDP, etc.

-- 
[email protected] / [email protected] Geek, Gweep, Technophile, me.
www.GizmoLovers.com / www.MegaZone.org / www.Eyrie-Productions.com Hail Eris
Twitter.com/megazone / Facebook.com/megazone / www.LinkedIn.com/in/megazone
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 432-363-4296


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to