> On Sep 22, 2015, at 9:40 PM, Salz, Rich <rs...@akamai.com> wrote:
>
> The security community thinks that compression is risky, error-prone, and
> that a security/auth layer is the wrong place to put it.
>
> So far, the only counter-argument has been "if TLS 1.2 has a flaw, I want to
> move to TLS 1.3 without losing data compression."
>
> Is this accurate?

I think the other counter-argument is that modifying NNTP to have a compression
feature is hard, whereas updating the TLS library is something that
implementations are likely to do.

I have to wonder if it’s worth it. In the last decade bandwidth has increased
and prices for networking have gone down much faster than CPU speeds. 10 years
ago having 1 Mbps at home was  the highest-end broadband you could get. Now you
routinely get 100x that. CPU has increased, but nowhere near that. This makes
compression less desirable, to the point that people did not complain much when
browser vendors removed compression following the CRIME attacks. True, the rise
of mobile brought back limited bandwidth, but is this really an issue?

Yoav