On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie>
wrote:

> On 20/07/17 17:43, Colm MacCárthaigh wrote:
> > that's the term that people keep applying,
>
> That term was appropriate for draft-green as justified in [1]
> That's disputed by some folks but it's the correct term.

If you maintain that draft-green is Wiretapping, then that is also the
correct term for what is happening today. Today, operators are using a
static key, used on the endpoints they control, to decrypt traffic
passively. The only difference is DH vs RSA, and I know you'll agree that's
not material.

Claiming that current browsers "support" wiretapping is plain
> odd to me and not that useful for the discussion but isn't a
> TLS protocol issue as we don't currently have, and don't have
> a WG proposal for a draft-green like wiretapping API as part
> of the TLS WG set of RFCs.

It is odd ... and I'm being deliberately provocative to get at the
doublethink. It is impossible to consider this mode wiretapping and not
claim the browsers support it today. Plainly, they do.

We don't live in an abstract theoretical world in which this is not already
happening, and is not already possible. It will also continue to be
possible to MITM traffic, if you have the RSA key, and some dh-static
opponents even advocate for this. I have seen no intellectually consistent
explanation for why that is ok, why that won't be abused by coercive
authorities, and hence why it is not better to have something in between;
that gives providers what they claim to need, but not the coercers.

--
Colm