On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 08:15:03PM +0000, Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL wrote:
> Maybe we are better off just retrofitting RSA-key-transport back
> into TLS-1.3? In that case at least the peer could refuse this
> method of key establishment, and one could safely assume that if a
> peer insists on that key establishment mechanism, this session will
> be surveilled?
>
> If I had to choose between the two evils, RSA-key-transport seems a
> lesser one (or at least a more obvious/visible one).

This has in fact been requested. Kenny Paterson said about the request:

My view concerning your request: no.

Rationale: We're trying to build a more secure internet.

Furthermore, AFAICT, adding RSA key transport would cause major
problems with the way TLS 1.3 does its handshake: It assumes that
whatever the key exchange is, it is two-message client-goes-first,
where static RSA key exchange is two-message server-goes-first (three
messages as client-goes-first).

There is straightforward way to make a valid key exchange out of
RSA. However, the result is very slow for client, and is in fact
forward-secure.

-Ilari