Hiya,

On 21/08/18 13:10, Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL wrote:
> "Vulnerable-by-design ciphersuites"? Vulnerable to what?

Accidental use, at least. If libraries implemented this
it could create a need for "!NULL" additions to random
configurations for example.

(I do accept that vulnerable-by-design might be considered
overstated, but I'm looking at his from a "part of TLS" POV
and not just at the lower level cryptographic mechanism.)

> Suck sites are designed to provide end-point authentication and
> traffic integrity. Care to explain/show how these properties would
> not hold?
>
> Besides, it's been explained several times that some use cases do not
> require confidentiality, and in some use cases confidentiality is
> forbidden.

I think I and others addressed those issues. Or tried to,
anyway;-) Assuming the only "forbidden" case means ham
radio. And it's I think fair to say that a number of times
when people have started out thinking they don't need
confidentiality, it turned out later that they did.

Cheers,
S.

> Regards, Uri
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Aug 21, 2018, at 07:42, Stephen Farrell
>> <stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:
>>

>>> On 20/08/18 21:48, Nancy Cam-Winget (ncamwing) wrote: All, A
>>> couple IoT consortiums are trying to embrace the improvements
>>> made to TLS 1.3 and as they define their new security constructs
>>> would like to adopt the latest protocols, in this case TLS 1.3.
>>> To that extent, they have a strong need for mutual
>>> authentication, but integrity only (no confidentiality)
>>> requirements.
>>>
>>> In following the new IANA rules, we have posted the draft
>>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-camwinget-tls-ts13-macciphersuites-00

to document request for registrations of HMAC based cipher selections

[3] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-suit-architecture-01#section-3.3

[5] http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#client_sasl