On Tue, Oct 25, 2022, at 13:57, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> Is there any public info as to how often HRR happens?
> (Sorry if that's well known, but it's not well known to
> me:-)
>
> Were that rare enough, I'd hope it'd be a thing where we
> could reach consensus for deprecation. If it's not yet
> sufficiently rare, it might be worth considering if we
> could change something to make HRR less likely.

I don't think that it is that simple.  Right now, we're at an equilibrium
point, where most clients and servers have moved toward a common set of
algorithms for key exchange.  In future, I expect that we'll see increased use
of HRR as we move to new equilibria.  One of these is likely coming with a move
to a PQ KEM.

Removing HRR might be possible if we look at putting more stuff in DNS or
something along those lines, but that would require a bunch of care and
preparation.  That's effort that - at least to me - might be better spent
elsewhere.