From: TLS <tls-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Viktor Dukhovni
<ietf-d...@dukhovni.org>
Date: Sunday, April 21, 2024 at 14:07
To: tls@ietf.org <tls@ietf.org>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [TLS] Deprecating Static DH certificates in the obsolete key
exchange document
!-------------------------------------------------------------------|
  This Message Is From an External Sender
  This message came from outside the Laboratory.
|-------------------------------------------------------------------!

On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 04:12:48AM +0000, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> I realise that absence of evidence != evidence of absence, but in response to
> my previous request for anyone who has such a thing to comment on it, and even
> better to send me a sample so I can see one, no-one has mentioned, or
> produced, even one example of "a legitimate CA-issued [static-epmeheral DH
> certificate] rather than something someone ran up in their basement for fun".
>
> So is the draft busy deprecating unicorns and jackalopes?  Nothing against
> that, but it's probably worth adding a note that such certificates are
> currently not known to exist so you probably don't have to worry about it too
> much.

Can't say I've seen any static DH certificates in the wild, but
I have seen code to support these, and perhaps the point is to
bless deprecating/disabling/removing such code?

In any case, this feels like cosmetic cleanup, rather than an
effort to migrate a significant population of existing users
to better practice.

--
    Viktor.