thanks for your reply!

What I was quite confused by is why tmda seemed to be working
without any hassles on a FreeBSD 4.9 box using qmail, but not
working 100 percent on a debian stable box using exim.

tmda is not in the debian stable distribution, thus, I had to go
to "apt-get.org" to amend the apt sources-list to install it and
python2.2. And debian-stable uses exim3 as its default MTA. I'm not a big
fan of exim, but I thought I would use it.

it's on the debian box that I can't
communicate with other systems using tmda, while on the FreeBSD
qmail box this seems to work quite well.

cheers,

t.