Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: [TMIC] New Neurologist

Gary,
Oh.  I was under the impression that the reason for the steriods at initial onset was to stop the inflammation.  I took extremely large doses for about 5 days and am completely convinced that if I had not, my lesion would have been much larger and I would have been paralyzed.
Did your doctor think the inflammation had subsided and the damage (lesion) was already done?
I do agree with him on taking the MRI's.  It can't really hurt (except for the cost).  I have had many more since onset in 1999.  Usually, I would have a test when I had a new symptom.  Symptoms usually related to a problem (such as a kidney or bladder infection) resulting from my residuals.  Although, my neurologist wanted to keep up for a while to make sure I didn't have any  more lesions.  At this point I probably won't have any more mri's unless I have a problem. (onset was 7 years ago)
As far as fatigue medicine, my favorite is provigil.  I love it.  It worked, no side effects.  But of course, my health ins. doesn't pay for it anymore since it's only fda approved for narcolepsy and MS fatigue.  So, I've tried all the others out there.  Either they didn't work or too many side effects.  So, now I take adderall (amphetamines) 15mg-2x a day.  Works great, but is very short lived.  The great side effect is that so far I've lost 15lbs. in three months!  Great for me because since onset I had gained over 30 lbs.  I lost about 15 back in 2001 when I stopped neurontin.  So now, I'm almost back to the weight I was!  Yeah.  It does make me a little jittery especially if I drink coffee, so I have had to cut that out to the occasional cup.  Since it's summer, I'm opting for the sweet southern tea instead.

-Sandy Brassil
Charlotte, NC